I’m Back! I want to thank every one of you who took the time to read my first post “My Crypto Journey”. Thank you all for the kind words, the words of encouragement, and for sharing some of your own personal stories. A fun feature that is included with my WordPress™ subscription is the “stats” tab. Using this feature I am able to see exactly which country each and every visitor hails from (unless y’all are spoofing your location using a VPN). To say Digibyte is a decentralized, global blockchain would be pretty accurate based on my anecdotal evidence. In less than a week my blog received 100+ unique visitors from 24 countries. Visitors to the site clicked from all over the world. From the United States, to Slovenia, to China, to Chile, to Australia, and even 1 visitor from Jersey (the country, not the state). The strength and reach of the Digibyte community is something to behold. I tweeted out the link to that first post and it has received at least 27 re-tweets and 75+ likes. That may not sound overly impressive, but when you consider the fact that prior to that tweet I had a grand total of 3 followers (not a typo, that says 3 followers), I’d say those numbers are insane. I would also like to shout out all of the people on Reddit and Telegram who gave me love and likes on those platforms. Anyway, enough babble, time to get to the new entry.
What is Digibyte’s Greatest Asset or Feature?
This is my attempt to list the things that make Digibyte the greatest blockchain on planet earth, and then try to add my own personal description and commentary on the subject matter. First, I will list the honorable mentions, then at the end I will give what I believe are the top 3 assets or features. Without further ado.
- Digi ID – Open source project that allows users to login to nearly any account using the safety and security of the Digibyte blockchain. No more need to remember a 43 character password that must contain at least 1 of each of the following: Symbol, Number, Uppercase Letter, The Blood of Christ, and a Strand of Hair from your Neighbor’s 2nd Born Child. Digi ID will simplify any login by only requiring a QR code scan. This will then send an encrypted message to the website containing the login information.
- Digi Assets – Tokenizing of assets on the Digibyte blockchain. Digibyte has already been a leader in security and speed, now it aims to be a leader in the token game. Move over Ravencoin and Ethereum, Digibyte is here to improve the usability and scalability of tokens by creating easy to use tools and interfaces. This will allow a person such as myself (I have the technical background of a 2-year-old chimp) to easily create and transact tokenized assets on the Digibyte blockchain. Though it has not been officially released, I imagine an online marketplace where the end-user does not know or care how the tech works, but knows that all assets are legit and fraud proof.
- Dandelion – Security layer soon to be implemented on the Digibyte Core. Will make it difficult to identify the users IP address, so that way you know your stash isn’t subject to a physical attack by a thug stalker, who also happens to be a tech genius (hey, you never know).
- 100+ Exchanges – Do you want to cash out your DGB for fiat (boooooo!), or swap to other cool projects such as Bitcoin, Litecoin, Vertcoin, or whatever else floats your boat? Whatever you choose, you can now do at more exchanges than my score for Mila Kunis on my celebrity crush scale (a solid 99).
- 5 Mining Algorithms – Just another amazing security function of the Digibyte blockchain. The use of 5 different mining algorithms ensures the blockchain is safer from attacks (not from the thug stalker this time, sorry). The Digibyte team has also created Multishield (formerly known as Digishield), to compliment the 5 mining algorithms. Multishield adjusts difficulty in real-time for each algorithm automatically ensuring a 51% attack is nearly impossible (not completely impossible as Charlie Lee himself graciously pointed out).
- 5+ year track record – Naysayers will say this is a negative. You will hear “5 years and still barely a top 50 project”. I respond to those naysayers with a question.” How many projects that were top 50 projects in January 2014 are still in the top 50 today?” The answer for those keeping a tally is 6 (including Digibyte). That is correct, 6! Sorry Hobonickels, Fedora Coin, Copper Lark, and Quark, but you did not stand the test of time (yes those were all real cryptos in the top 50 according to Coin Market Cap 2014 snapshot). The other 5 coins in case you were wondering: Bitcoin, Litecoin, Doge, XRP, and Dash. Thousands have come and went in those 5 years and 6 projects have stood the test of time and maintained consistency in the top 50.
- Decentralization – 200,000+ nodes (I wish this number were updated for better or worse, so I could state this claim more confidently). No CEO, no Board of Directors, no Investment Management Firms, no scammy ICO. Digibyte can certainly make the claim that is one of the most decentralized blockchains in existence. If I want to appoint myself Digibyte’s official CDB (Chief Digibyte Blogger), I most certainly can. I don’t need Jared Tate’s approval, the developer’s approval, or anybody’s approval for that matter. Now that I say it out loud to myself “Chief Digibyte Blogger”, I kind of like the ring to it.
- I, Eric Henjum, hereby declare myself Digibyte’s official CDB. All those opposed say “Yep, he has that power, nothing I can do about it”.
- Innovation – The fact of the matter is, Digibyte has consistently and actively been evolving the blockchain space since its inception in 2014. Since it was forked from Litecoin, Digibyte has been under a constant state of transformation. The Digibyte of January 2014 looks nothing like the Digibyte of today. This should probably be in my top 3, as all of the innovations made to Digibyte have been at the forefront of the crypto space as a whole. Many features created by the Digibyte developers have been used on numerous other blockchains and done so completely open sourced. Few projects can make the claim that they have evolved as much as Digibyte. Digibyte has gone from Litecoin’s youngest baby sibling to the grown up, more masculine, more handsome sibling that everybody admires and tries to replicate. Pretend cryptos are the Wahlberg brothers. Bitcoin is like Jim, Arthur, Paul, and Robert Wahlberg combined. Very important in the family structure and helped their younger brothers become who they are today. Then comes Litecoin, the Donnie Wahlberg of the family. The better looking, more successful brother, but still has quite a few flaws. Last comes Digibyte, the Mark Wahlberg of the family. The sexiest, most loved of the bunch (The Funky Bunch).
- Transaction Fees – Nearly non-existent. Even if Digibyte becomes the most widely used crypto and worldwide adoption happens, the fees would still be minimal. Enough Said.
Digibyte’s Top 3 Features or Assets (According to Me)
Speed – This is initially what caught my eye, like Mila Kunis standing in a room full of rejects. Digibyte has an average transaction time of 15 seconds, compared to Bitcoin’s 10 minute transaction time and Litecoin’s 2.5 minute transaction time. My 5th grade math skills tell me that Digibyte is 10x faster than Litecoin, and 40x faster than Bitcoin. Due to Digibyte’s block size increase, coded to double every 2 years or so, it also leads in the Transaction Per Second (TPS) race. Bitcoin currently sits around a whopping 6 TPS, while Litecoin can handle over 9x that of Bitcoin at 56 TPS. Digibyte makes that look like Child’s Play (not the epic 80’s movie). Digibyte currently has the ability to handle 560 TPS, which is currently 10x faster than Litecoin and 93x faster than Bitcoin. This year (2019), Digibyte will again double its block size and will be able to handle up to 1,080 TPS. By the year 2035, Digibyte will be able to handle 280,000 TPS. To put that into perspective, Visa currently handles about 1,700 TPS based on their official claim of 150 million transaction per day. Theoretically, Digibyte could handle 24,192,000,000 transactions per day by 2035 (That is over 24 billion transactions per day!)
Jared Tate – Jared is the creator and founder of Digibyte. Jared is not the President, the CEO, or self-appointed dictator (though I suppose he could if he wanted to be). Every person in the Digibyte community already know’s Jared’s importance as the creator and lead developer. We see his continuing commitment and passion for the project. We see him remain humble, where others have drowned in their own ego. We see him engage the community members and encourage the efforts of every individual (he even liked my tweet!). We witness him volunteer crazy amounts of his personal time to these efforts. We have seen first hand the man’s genius and leadership skills. Jared does all of this with no promise of riches, as he is not holding any bags of a pre-mined ICO. He chooses to stay partially in the shadows while feverishly working and developing the Digibyte project. Jared Tate does not dream of being a celebrity like Craig S. Wright, or bask in the glow of the lime light like Charlie Lee. He doesn’t sweat cockiness out of every pore like Richard Heart, or pressure young girls into sexual favors like EOS’s Brock Pierce(Too Far?). Jared Tate is still Jared Tate, and that is what sets him apart from so many others in this space. If I could make my own personal crypto creator dream team it would look like this: Satoshi himself (the Michael Jordan of the team), Jared Tate (the Scottie Pippen who glues the whole team together with his creativity and unselfishness), and Vitalik Buterin (the Dennis Rodman type whose lovable strangeness and inner genius makes sure the team is cohesive). Although we recognize Jared Tate’s work ethic and genius within the community, he still flies under the radar in the crypto community as whole (and I would bet he prefers it that way).
The Community – I touched on this in the intro, but this community is undoubtedly Digibyte’s numero uno asset. To those who are here, and to most who are reading this, it comes as no surprise. This community has so many big personalities like the Youtube influencers like Digibyte Dan, and The Crypto Mug Investors (My Digibyte People!!!!!, What’s Good Guys?). To the educators of the bunch like CryptoCurrently and Amon Unlimited, whose valuable skills showcase Digibyte’s technological advances as well as other works of the community. To the members of the Digibyte Awareness Team (DGBAT), who tirelessly work spreading the Digibyte Gospel, and working countless hours behind the scenes ensuring Digibyte stays a leader in the crypto world. To the core development team doing all of that nerdy coding that continues to make Digibyte the greatest blockchain in existence. To the countless others in the Telegram groups, Reddit, Twitter, Youtube, and all over other social media outlets. We come from different countries, different religions, different political affiliations. Some of us devote nearly every passing moment contributing to the project, some of us may only check periodically for updates and silently cheer from the sidelines pulling for the underdog. No matter our differences or our contributions, we all have at least one thing in common.
We Are Digibyte!